Department of Computer Science
- Vice-rector on "Applied Research and Innovation" at the University of Pisa.
- I'm leading the Advanced Algorithms and Application Lab (Acube), located at the Department of Computer Science, University of Pisa. We design and implement algorithms for compressing, indexing and mining Big Data.
- I've got two Google research awards, in 2010 and 2013, on designing and applying a novel Semantic Annotation technology, known as TAGME, to several IR problems: Classification, Clustering and Social Network Analysis. This algorithmic technology has been also awarded of the Working Capital Award by Telecom Italia.
- Yahoo! Research sponsored my promotion to full professor from 2007 to 2011, awarding my research on compressed data structures.
- President of the IT Center of the University of Pisa, with collaborations with many top players of IT industry worldwide (see for example this article or this one).
- I'm proud to have introduced the Phd Plus: a series of lectures on entrepreneurship for Phd and Master students, and currently also for faculties, of the University of Pisa.
- Area Editor of the Encyclopedia of Algorithms, Springer Publisher, Ming-Yang Kao (Ed.), 2008.
- I'm collaborating or consulting on the theme "Algorithms for Big Data" with Google (Zurich), Tiscali (Istella's search engine), Spazio Dati, Bassilichi, ENEL Foundation.
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the Lipari PhD School on Computational Social Science, Lipari (Italy).
- Co-chair of the ACM conference on Web Search and Data Mining (WSDM), Rome (Italy), February 2013.
- Co-chair of the European Symposium on Algorithms (ESA), Raleigh (Ljubljana, Slovenia), September 2012.
- Member of the Steering Committee of the European Symposium on Algorithms (ESA), from 2012.
- Invited speaker at the Industrial Track of ECIR 2012, Barcelona (ES), April 2012. Talk on "Topic-based annotation of short texts, with applications".
- Paper on "Bi-criteria data compression", accepted at ACM-SIAM SODA 2014.
- Paper on "Compressed cache-oblivious String B-tree" accepted at ESA 2013.
- Paper on "A framework for benchmarking entity-annotation systems" accepted at WWW 2013.
- Italian MIUR-PRIN project on "ARS TechnoMedia-- Algorithmics for Social Technological Networks" (Feb '13 -- Feb '16).
- Regional Project Bando Unico di Ricerca e Sviluppo 2012 on "Sentaclaus: Text and Trend Analysis of Big Data" (April 2013 - December 2014).
I am Professor of Algorithmics and Vice-Rector on "Applied Research and Innovation" for the University of Pisa. I'm the President of the IT Center of the University of Pisa, which is indeed the ``World Wide Competency Center for HPC'' of ACER and hosts the ``Virtualization & Storage Lab'' of Intel.
My promotion to full professor was sponsored by Yahoo! Research. I was Vice-Chairman of the Department of Computer Science and member of the Patent Committee of the University of Pisa, member of the Advisory Board of the Consorzio Pisa Ricerche, a teacher at the Scuola Normale Superiore and one of the scientific coordinators of its research center Signum.
I got my Laurea degree (summa cum laude, 1992) and my PhD (1996) in Computer Science from the University of Pisa, and my Post-doc from the Max-Planck Institut fur Informatik (Saarbrucken, 1997-98). From 1998 to 2000, I've been Assistant Professor at the University of Pisa; and from 2000 to 2007, I've been Associate Professor at the same University. I also spent various periods of research at IBM Research (Rome), AT&T Shannon Lab (NJ), Yahoo! Research (Barcelona), Google (NY), University of North Texas.
My research is mainly devoted to the design, analysis and experimentation of algorithms and data structures for storing, compressing, mining and retrieving information from Big Data arising from Web repositories, XML file collections, textual databases, genomic/DNA sequences. My research results received two US Patents (one owned by Lucent and the other one by University of Pisa and Rutgers) and some international awards: "Best Land Transportation Paper Award" from IEEE Vehicular Technology Society (1995); "EATCS Doctoral Dissertation Thesis Award" (1997); "Philip Morris Award on Science and Technology" (1997); "Research Capital award" from the University of Pisa (2002); Yahoo! faculty award (2007-2010); Working Capital Award (2010); Google research award (2010 and 2013). Currently, I have four patents pending in the USA, three owned by Yahoo! and one by NYU.
I've been invited speaker of many international conferences and workshops on Algorithmics; in particular, I was a keynote speaker of CPM '04, SPIRE '05, ESA/ALGO 2010, SISAP '11, and Industral Track of ECIR 2012.
I (co-)authored more than 120 publications in international refereed conferences and journals on Theoretical Computer Science and Algorithmics. I have also authored one Italian book on Cryptography (Bollati Boringhieri, 2001), and several chapters in books: just to mention a few, one chapter on "String search in external memory: Algorithms and data structures" in the Handbook of Computational Molecular Biology (CRC Press, Editor Srinivas Aluru, 2005), and one chapter on "Web Search" in the book On the power of algorithms (Springer, Editors Ausiello-Petreschi, 2013). For an updated list of my publications look at the CS Bibliographic Database, or via Google Scholar.
I'm serving in the Editor Board of the Journal of Graph Algorithms and Applications (JGAA), and I'm one of the Area Editors of the Encyclopedia of Algorithms (Springer, Editor Ming-Yang Kao) for the topics "Data compression, String Algorithms and Data Structures". I served as (co)editor of four special issues on the international journals: Theory of Computing Systems (June 2006), Theoretical Computer Science (November 2007), Information Retrieval (August 2008) and Theoretical Computer Science (November 2009).
I have served as PC member of many International Conferences on Theoretical Computer Science, specifically in the field of Algorithmics. I've been co-chair of International Conference on FUN with Algorithms (2004), DIMACS Workshop on the Burrows-Wheeler Transform (2004), Symposium on String Processing and Information Retrieval (2006), Symposium on Combinatorial Pattern Matching (2008), European Symposium on Algorithms-- Algorithm Engineering Track (2012), ACM Conference on Web Search and Data Mining (2013)